Subject: [Leica] Summarit lens cap & hood confusion
From: MGMcGough@aol.com
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2000 20:19:38 EDT

  I think that the confusion in regards to lens cap, lens filter & lens hood
  size lies in the use of inside & outside diameters interchangably.

  Actually the OD of the Summarit ring is 43mm while the ID is 41mm.
  There were both screw-in (41) and slip-on (43) filters made for the lens
  and the screw-ins have always been preferred & more expensive.

  I have always been under the impression that the first version of the 50
  f:1.4 Summilux (1959) was optically the same as the Summarit ('49-'60)
  except for the mount & coating & it used an E43 filter.

  Mary (de Milo) McGough