Subject: Re: [Leica] Film problems, again
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2000 12:15:48 -0700

Ken-
I've had it happen, too. If you get a little too 'frisky' winding the film,
especially near the end, it can break off the little tab that a lot of film
manufacturers favor now instead of the tape that Kodak still uses!
I still wind relatively slowly, and have not had the problem re-occur in
quite a while. I still carry a changing bag folded in the bottom of my
camera bag! It adds extra padding, and when you need it.... you really need
it! I have helped other pilgrims out, too, unjamming cameras! They thought I
must have been a pro, being so well equipped! Ha! Just an amatuer who after
thirty five years has had just about every mistake, mishap or boo-boo
imagineable to occur! I also carry a film lead retriever, and a small
cleaning kit too! Compared to the considerable avoirdupois of the Leica
gear, it is a negligible load!
Also- as an aside, making sure the little bits of film are cleared out is a
good idea- the only camera I everhad that was hopelessly jammed from bits of
film was an old Nikkorex F about 30 years ago! Since then, I have been very
careful when spooling my own film, and when loading and unloading the
camera... I look and blow it out (I guess I do look silly!) but fortunately,
I haven't had a jammed camera since....knock on wood!
Good luck, easy does it, and the best of light to you!
Dan ( If anything can go wrong... it will!) Post