Subject: Re: [Leica] Analog vs. digital
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2000 11:55:53 -0700

Rick-
One part true, the other part is that I have used the Digilux, and while it
is made by Fuji.... it illustrates the disparity of features among camera
manufacturers.
Fuji used the NiMH batteries, and thought they are expensive, they give a
whole lot more service. Now, it appears from your syntax that you may come
from the Old Sod, but I am sure that NiMH "AA" cells are available there, as
well. Rechargables are almost 'de riguer' with digital cameras- no argument
in my mind about it.
If they have a computer, it makes sense for them to get a digital P&S- they
can 'archive' those prints they want to keep, and print out those they want
for immediate consumption.
I kniow there are arguments about the longevity of negatives, but from
personal experience, I have had some bad experiences to recount. Thirty
years ago, when my grandmother had to be put into an extended care facility,
my parents 'cleaned' up the house. I was away in the Navy, and when I came
back, I was hoorified to find that they had tossed out years and years of
negatives that had been kept in a dresser in the house! I had manged to keep
safe the family dauguerrotypes and other 19th century photos, but I was at a
loss for all the 'family snap' that were lost of the family during the first
half of the 20th century. Sure, negatives have an unquestioned advantage,
but only if they are kept safe!
I am sure that the archival properties of digitally made photos and prints
will vastly improve in the coming years.... like much of technology, they
seem to increase the keeping of the digitally made prints by a couple of
years, every month or so! As long as they are made on paper, they will have
a chance to survive! Some of the earliest paper is still around, and the
inks are improving daily!
Dan ( ever hopeful that technology won't kill us before it makes our lives
better....) Post