Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:Consensus? Skopar 24mm
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 09:18:25 -0700

At 5:50 AM +0200 4/7/00, Dominique.Pellissier@droit-eco.univ-nancy2.fr
(Dominique PELLI wrote:

>#########
>Tests made by Chasseur d'images : n° 219/dec.99.
>
>The bargraph is graduated from "weak" to "excellent".
>I've chosen the following rating : "weak" =1; "poor"=2;"good"=3;"very
>good"=4;"excellent"=5.
>The first grade is for the center of the lens ; the second for the edge.
>
>Cosina 15 :
>at 4.5 :1.5;1
>at 8 :3;3 (="good,good"). The optimum.
>
>My comment : not too bad for a 15.
>
>By comparison, for the elmar R 3.5/15 (in fact a Zeiss Distagon): 3;2 at
>full aperture and 4;3 at the optimum (5.6 and 8).
>
>Cosina 24 :
>
>at 4 : 1.5;1.5
>at 8 : 3.5 ; 3. The optimum.
>
>By comparison the elmarit M 24 gives :
>
>at 4 : 4;4 (=very good, very good)
>at 8 : 5,4 the optimum.
>
>My comment : no need for a photo finish!
>
>Dominique

Well, Dominique, on that basis I would certainly doubt the quality of the
Cosina lenses as well! But again, I must say that the two lenses I have are
extremely useful and make images that are compatible with my Leica lens
produced images. Maybe they got some duds.

I'm not interested in the Skopar, and the 35mm range is so well covered by
Leica lenses to such a high standard that it doesn't interest me either.
The 75mm I might like to try, but I feel comfortable with 90mm so I doubt I
would get the 75.

I think you owe it to yourself to try a Cosina lens if you can, especially
if you happen to be interested in the 15mm focal length where Leica has
nothing to offer for the M. The other lenses make more sense for use on LTM
bodies, except for specific needs.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com