Subject: Re: [Leica] leica pimples?
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 09:19:40 -0700

At 10:58 PM -0700 4/6/00, Rich Lahrson wrote:
>Henning J. Wulff wrote:
>> Since my 15 Cosina outperforms my 15 Nikkor (and my 15 Hologon), I wouldn't
>> be surprised if the Cosina 25 did well in comparison to the 24 Nikkor.
>
>Hi Henning,
>
>     Do you have the center filter for the 15 Hologon?  That should be
>a plus for the Hologon over the 15 Cosina.   But I won't like the Hologon's
>fixed aperture of f/8, not fast and unflexible.  The Nikkor 15 is too big,
>though the reflex viewing might be useful sometimes when the field shows
>objects only an inch or so from the lens.

Yes, I have the center filter. Unfortunately, the useability of an
effective t/16 is poor. Also, the final transition of light grey to clear
in the filter is a bit hard, so in shots with a lot of sky, you can see
where the edge of the filter is on some shots. On the other hand, lenses
don't get any more compact than this! Just recently I took some shots with
it again, as even the 15 Cosina was too big to stick into an architectural
model. It also allows closer focussing than the Cosina. The Nikon 15 is
definitely getting a lot less use. Carrying that lens around is a major
commitment. As you say, the reflex viewing does give it an advantage at
times.

>     I guess the as yet unreleased Cosina 12mm will set the record for wide,
>non-fisheye lenses, and should probably sell like hotcakes.  BTW, why to
>things sell like hotcakes?  Do folks open up a Hotcake Restaurant and start
>cleaning up?    :-)

I hope to get one of those as soon as it becomes available (the lens;
hotcakes seem to be readily available :-)).

>    I've got the 24/2.8 Nikkor and I've had the Nikkor 25/4 on a Leica IIIa.
>As I shoot black and white and don't print larger than about 6 x, I feel that,
>at least for me, most modern coated lenses of moderate speed perform okay.
>When I look at my prints, I don't use a magnifying glass.  I look to see if
>I could have seen or communicated the subject better.

Hey, does this mean you think the content might be more important than what
lens you use???? Isn't this a bit of a leap for this list ;-) ;-)....

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com