Subject: [Leica] Cosina 15 and 25 lens quality
From: Cummer Family <cummer@asiaonline.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 07:28:00 +0800

>Dominique, you wrote:
>I've not tried Cosina lenses. The MTF-tests for the 15 and for the 25 show
>that these lenses have a poor quality.
>My opinion is that we buy at first a Leica lens (for its quality) and,
>after, the "rear cap" for it (i.e. a leica body or a hexar rf).
>The contrary seems to me irrational. A cosina lens on a Leica body is as a
>pimple on the left buttock of a beautiful girl...
>You write that the finders are better than Leica's. Maybe. But i read that
>they are not precise.
>
>Dominique
>M. Dominique Pellissier
>Maître de conférences en économie
>Université de Nancy2
>13, place Carnot
>C.O. n°26
>F-54035 Nancy cedex
>France
>
>phone : 0383261702
>mobile : 0612240885
>fax :0383192601

Dominique, speaking just for myself who uses and enjoys the Cosina 15 and
25, the lens quality is very good, the price for value ratio is
extraordinary and it is a pity Leica can't do as well. Now my 24 Elmarit
Asph is better than the skopar 25 - no doubt, but at the middle apertures
and out street shooting you'll not see a difference, except that the skopar
is much smaller, less noticable and that is appealing in itself. We have
discussed MPF curves on the LUG many times, but the real proof,in my view,
is in shooting pictures.  As others suggested - you should try the lenses.
Cheers
Howard.