Subject: Re: [Leica] Off topic but worth reading
From: DonjR43198@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 13:01:22 EDT

The children are at play once again!

Fatal banana story is just another hoax!  Before you commit suicide because
you just ate a banana this morning, please read the following: As the post
suggested, I checked with the Center for Disease Control and found the
following message was posted on the Center's website at
http://www.snopes.com/toxins/bananas.htm:

False Internet Report about Bananas
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for
Infectious Diseases states that the current email rumor circulating about
Costa Rican bananas causing the disease 'necrotizing fasciitis' is false.

We have not heard any reports of cases of necrotizing fasciitis associated
with bananas. There is no evidence that necrotizing fasciitis is transmitted
by food. The bacteria which most commonly cause necrotizing fasciitis live in
the human body. The usual route of transmisson for these bacteria is from
person to person.

The CDC Press Office has issued a notice at our website.

If you would like more information about necrotizing fasciitis, you might
wish to check our website here.  Look under “Group A Streptococcus” which is
the most common cause of necrotizing fasciitis.

Further, while we cannot endorse or validate the information contained
therein, there is information on this e-mail rumor posted at a commercial
site http://www.snopes.com/toxins/bananas.htm.