Subject: [Leica] Re:Photographing Photographers
From: "Neil Miller" <plus_4@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 00:35:56 PDT

I have found these and earlier comments very interesting. I have made a
living shooting TV news for almost 30 years. Most of that time I have also
photographed the media (film, video, still, reporters, producers etc) with
the old Leica. There are many times when the media is part of the story. I
feel it is not what we should be doing but it just turns out that way. One
example stands out. During the trial of the Governor of Arizona a cluster of
media were doing a moving interview/photo op across a street. A photographer
out ahead of the group backed into a wooden arm across a drive and crashed
thru it breaking the arm. An alert still photographer captured the event.
You can be sure that photo made the paper. The same is true for video
shooters. Another example is a recent search for a child missing overnight
in the desert. We had a helicopter crew covering the search. It turned out
they found the child, landed and flew him back to the command post. Our
station had exclusive coverage of the rescue. The strange thing is the other
TV stations in the valley never really explained how he was found! There are
times when the media can't be the story particularly if it is a competitor.
The media is part of many events if we like it or not. Sometimes it is as
simple as needing a cut-a-way and the only thing available is another
photographer.

As far as natural animosity between still and TV shooters, I have not seen
it as being a problem. Actually I've had more problems with video shooters.
Maybe that is my still background coming out.

I have to point out that photographing the media is one of my favorite
pastimes. Whenever things slow down on an assignment the Leica with a 21mm
or possibly a G2 with a 21mm comes out. Media beware!

Neil