Subject: Re: [Leica] Forget about depth of field scales
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 10:03:30 -0700

Tom Schofield wrote:

> I too have been disappointed often with infinity sharpness at hyperfocal
> settings.  Softness in trees on the horizon, and the edge where the mountain
> tops meet sky, becomes soft.    I also suspect that with designs with
> floating elements, when you set a shorter distance than infinity, you just
> optimized the lens for that distance rather than infinity -- I suppose that
> is why Hasselblad's first floating element designs had manual setting of the
> floating element.
>
><Snip>
You know stuff that is that far off really IS soft!!! (And our eye tends to
accept that) There is haze and UV the film picks up your eyeballs don't. That's
why people use filters, to cut through that crud!. Try the same setting with a
yellow or better filter. I tend to have a yellow-green on my lens for such a shot.
Mark Rabiner