Subject: [Leica] flash tricks
From: "Michael Darnton" <mdarnton@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 08:37:43 PDT

I have no idea if this will work with TTL--in fact, probably not, now that I
think of it (though one of the auto options on this tiny flash is E.I.
200@f/2.8)--but a standard part of my kit has always been a small, cheap
one-joint bounce flash with a couple of layers of white napkin held over the
lens by a rubber band. Not only does this diffuse, cut, and soften the
light, but it also widens the field of the flash to where I can sort of use
it with my 15mm Heliar. The other thing I have on the flash sometimes is a
file card folded in half and held with the rubber band so as to project out
over the flash. I point the flash up, and bend the card forward a bit to
give both bounce and fill. Some of you who worked in news when I did will
also remember the trick of holding a spoon in the same position when using
bounce, to give a bit of fill and eye highlight. I think all this stuff has
been forgotten, now that photographers are no longer encouraged by their
cameras to think.

- --Michael