Subject: [Leica] Anyone know a decent place in London to buy film?
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2000 13:45:42 +0100

A question for our UK members - where in central London can I find a
photo store which stocks a full range of amateur and professional 35mm
films?

I've been using Jessops in New Oxford Street, yesterday I waltzed in
and asked for some 200 ISO Ektachrome --
a request which produced looks of bafflement.

"Do you mean Provia or Elite?", I was asked (I hope I've got that
first name right - my hearing is not a sharp as it used to be).

"Whichever is the equivalent of Ektachrome 200", I replied.

"Do you mean Provia or Elite?"

After a few more exchanges, I realised I was caught in a closed loop
from which the only escape was to say "For XXXXX's sake, just give me
some 200 ISO Fujichrome."

"Do you mean Sensia?"

At this point, they decided they were dealing with an elderly geezer
who was seriously out of touch with reality, so produced a box of
Sensia. There printed on the side was the magic word "Fujichrome".

(I suspect it took my blood pressure 15 minutes to recover from what
should have been an simple purchase! - it went back up again at the
end of the day when their D&P department explained that E-6 processing
would take four days "because the machine's broken down", and would
that be OK?)

So is there anywhere in Central London where the staff will recognise
and respond to the words "Ektachrome" and "Fujichrome", or where
enquiries about Kodak Vericolor SO-279 won't be greeted with a blank
stare?

And recommendations for labs which do scratch and dust-free E-6
processing in less than four days?

Regards,

Doug Richardson