Subject: Re: [Leica]Raymond Depardon
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 18:07:28 -0800

>Another great photographer! Let's call him the king of the full frame
>vertical. His work is less well known in the States then in France, however.

let us recall one of his american projects - the 'new york correspondance':
hired by the newspaper 'libération' to send, from new york to paris, one
photo every day to be published, with his commentary, on one page of the
paper. a fascinating project, a wonderful book.

trained as a photojournalist, he claims that he was changed by the need to
take at least one photo per day, whether anything 'newsworthy' was
happening or not. he says at one point: 'i always thought you needed an
event to make a photograph,' then goes on to describe how he got into the
habit of photographing 'the down time,' and how this influenced his
thinking about photography.

imho, many of his most memorable pictures are those recording the 'down
time,' when nothing of any apparent significance seems to be happening
other than the photograph.

one of my favorite [leica] photographers.

guy