Subject: Re: [Leica] Guatemala photography project....
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 14:07:29 -0500

At 01:47 PM 3/31/00 -0500, you wrote:
>   But people
>who live in the dump have a different outlook on work and life than those
>who are just as poor yet live elsewhere.
>
>If it were me, I would try the program with a different group of
>underprivileged people in Guatemala who truly have a sincere desire to learn
>what you want to teach first before attempting it with those who live in the
>dump who may not.
>
>Duane

Duane -

This may be true of the parents.  Not the kids.  I work with organizations
that are helping children who live on the streets in Honduras and
Guatemala.  These children deserve a chance.  Just because their parents
have fallen on hard times - it's true sometimes through their own faults -
that is no reason to give up on the children.  If you read the information
on the web site, the children are learning more than photography at the
school.  The photography gives them a reason to try to escape the
dump.  They do have a sincere desire to learn.  In my experience working
with street children, they know that education is the way out and they will
do anything to stay in school until their situation is hopeless and then
they turn to drugs and crime.  I know children in Honduras who have been in
seemingly hopeless situations, abandoned by their parents and living on the
streets, who are attending the university in Tegucigalpa and doing well
because of an organization called Project Alternatives.  If they are not
presented with alternatives, there is no way out of extreme poverty.

They are not living in the dump by choice.  Please read the information on
the web site before you jump to conclusions.

Tina

(LUG - sorry for this off-topic subject, but it does relate to
photography.  Please delete if you are not interested.)
Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com