Subject: RE: [Leica] 28mm vs. 35 mm lenses
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 14:37:18 -0500

Welcome, Jackie! You will now be inundated with more personal opinions than
you probably thought could exist on this subject.

I'd say go with the 35:

A 35 is just wide enough to give you a slightly different perspective if you
want it; it's just wide enough to let you stay relatively close and still
take in a wider-than normal scene; and it's close enough to normal so that
it can very easily become your "normal" lens.

A 28, on the other hand, is neither fish no fowl - and I know that there are
some LUGers, and some of the world's greatest photographers, including S.
Salgado, who make great use of a 28. But I find that a 28 is not wide enough
to serve as a "real wide" angle, but just a bit too wide to serve as a
normal lens.

If I could only have three lenses, I would have a 21-35 and 90, and skip the
50. But that's just my opinion.

Good luck - and I hope you have a large mailbox.:-)
B. D.