Subject: [Leica] Canoe trips...
From: "Birkey, Duane" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 09:27:01 -0500

I've been on a number of "canoe" trips in Latin America... The dugout canoes
I've been on can hold 15 to 30 people with outboard motors so it is not the
two or three man ones people are used to in the U.S.

If it were me... I'd skip the Ewa bag as I think it would be more of a pain
to use with your M's than the risk.  I tried one with My F-1 and wasn't real
happy with it... I find I shoot either with a 80 -200 zoom or a 300mm for
pictures of things happening away from the boat and something wide (like a
20mm) to get pictures of whatever is immediately in front or behind you.

Where you will get wet from spray will depend on the canoe... I always try
to get in the front seat.... it gives me a clear view ahead and nothing but
faces looking back and generally there is less spray.  Besides that you
don't have the back of someone's head in your shots.

The chances of one of these canoes tipping over is generally pretty slim,
but not impossible...  I have a Pelican case but personally rarely use
it..... When I do, I leave the foam at home and stick my bag inside so I
leave the case somewhere once I arrive.  But 95% of the time I just stick
the bag under my rain coat and pray the canoe doesn't tip over.  But then
again I like to travel light on canoe trips so I've not taken my Leica's
yet.

You could have a second smaller box to stick the one camera you are using in
when not shooting.... I have a smaller "Underwater Kinetics" box that I use
for 4x5 holders... but it would easily work as well...   If it rains in
Honduras like it rains in Ecuador... There isn't a whole lot you can shoot
in the rain to begin with...

I've been looking for a used Nikonos for rainy days or trips to the beach
and ocean or pictures from wave-runners and a future trip to the Galapagos.
I've seen the V near mint for around $500 with the 35 which you can use
above water as well as below... there were some IV's around for around $300
with the 35mm lens as well.  But I'd recomend you look and handle one before
buying it.  Or borrow or rent one for the ocassional trip... But  the Canon
one is still a whole lot cheaper

That's my two cents

Duane (I hate shooting in rain) Birkey

Duane's Photographs of Ecuador @