Subject: Re: [Leica] 25mm f4 Skopar
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 06:12:35 +0000

John Bean wrote:
snip
>Skopar, I find I like it in its own right - the click stops on the focus
>are brilliant, don't miss the RF coupling at all.

The click stops are brilliant, I wish leica makes them that way too. Then
you do not really need so much "leica practice" before you become confident
at focus guessimation and setting the distance correctly on the lens
without looking.  IMO, the click stops do make the lens faster to use than
RF focussing.

>The 15/4.5 Heliar is another matter altogether. It is much too wide for my
>normal use, but I do use it in confined spaces, and crop it for panoramics.
>I bought the Heliar first, and certainly will keep it, but the Skopar is by
>far the more useful lens for me

I read somewhere that 80% of prize winning pictures were taken at or near
"normal" focal length; and that the further you are from the "normal" focal
length, the less likely you are to use that lens repeatedly. I have heard
my friends remarked, "I bought that Hologon and used it only once!"  That
Heliar might be cheap enough to gather dust but that Hologon ain't so.

So.... after trying out both the Heliar and the Skopar, I have decided to
buy the latter.  I also find the price and weight very attractive when
compared to the 24 Elmarit ASPH.

Dan K.