Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica in Japan was: Leica in Canada
From: Ken Iisaka <kiisaka@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 09:39:54 -0800

On a similar note, Lemon Camera, which has been one of the two official
Leica importers in Japan was terminated.  I presume that there were
political conflicts.

The situation is as follows:

Nihon Siber Hegner has been a Leica importer for number of years,
selling Leica cameras through authorised dealers.  The prices were high,
and service was, ahem, so-so.  Then, Lemon Camera came in, importing
grey-market Leicas, and quickly became the highest volume Leica seller
in Japan (in the world?)  Leica then gave Lemon Camera an official
dealer status, allowing it to sell Leica products at its premise only,
not to be in direct competition with Nihon Siber Hegner-affiliated
dealers.  Lemon had its technicians trained in Solmes (or NJ?) and
received supplies of parts to service the current models in-house as
well, though it appears that they had an official, but unenforced policy
that they only repaired cameras which were sold by Lemon itself.

Lemon did take away lots of sales from other dealers in Japan.  The
prices were 20% lower, and availability was good.  You could walk into
Lemon and walk out with just about any current Leica products (or from
its superb collection of rare Leicas as well)  However, suddenly, about
a few months ago, their prices were jacked up to be in line with those
of other dealers, with a note saying that there is a discount for
"members."  Then, there was an announcement that they will no longer
carry Leica products as of later this spring.

TomA probably knows much more than I, but I suspect that Lemon may have
violated its contract with Leica in some ways.  I believe Lemon was
allowed its dealer status under a very strict, limited terms, and their
huge success may have led to some conflict with other dealers with much
clout (like Yodobashi Camera which is rumoured to be a major Leica
shareholder).

Ken Iisaka  kiisaka@pacbell.net
http://home.pacbell.net/kiisaka
Still lost in Mill Valley in Marin County, California