Subject: Re: [Leica] Photos on the Web
From: Bmceowen@aol.com
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 20:36:29 EST

In a message dated 3/25/00 4:48:52 PM, tripspud@wenet.net writes:

<<      Wasn't it Gene Smith who crusaded for the photographer's control of
his work?  This was not a small issue back then and seems to remain.
I think he quit Life magazine over his loss of control of the use of
the images he made.

    But a major publication will never have a problem finding someone
else.......but not of the same refinement.  Maybe those who are the best
place a higher value on their work?....I'm probably not good enough to be
counted there;  and I feel there are only a handful of photographers in
that inner sphere..... >>

What? Is the argument that the staff photographers of Life's glory days were
somehow wrong to turn over their rights? Hey, those were the GLORY days of
photojournalism guys. And let's face it, the bulk of the world's great
photojournalism is probably still being done by STAFF photographers ---
newspaper guys, wire service guys . . .

Bob (no regrets) McEowen