Subject: Re: [Leica] Photos on the Web calling troll
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 22:41:49 -0800

Austin Franklin wrote:

> > This is really getting solidly into the area in my opinion of intense and
> > outrageous provocation to the list!!
> > Your just playing with us Austin! Having too much fun at our expense!
> > Of course there is a good section of us who are professional
> photographers.
> >       ...Who are getting the sneaky feeling that you are not exactly on our
> side.
> > I gotta call troll here. This is a troll.
>
> This was not a troll.  I am not playing or (intentionally) having fun at
> anyone's expense.  I am dead serious on my belief of the absurdity of
> anyone being paid what they ask for doing a job, then believing they have
> some rights (by law) to what they were paid to do.
>
> The point of my absurd post you reference (compensate the caterer) is
> really not so absurd.  It was purely to illustrate how broad this
> 'artistic' claim can get.  If one profession is given this  'right' all
> professions should be given this 'right'.  I truly am interested in civil
> discourse on this subject, but the 'opposition' doesn't want to give any.
>
> I do respect, and appreciate people's opinions, and insight...but when the
> only defense given is insult, that hardly make for civil discourse.

This thing had been absurd before that last post.
When I do a shoot I am the artist in control of that shoot. Most commercial
photographers are able to easily insist on that.
A makeup artist I usually pick is very important as the choice of model and
other stylists and location.
All important contributors; I am the Artist. The Mona Lisa did not paint herself.
As the "Artist" the laws of the US and many other countries says the copyright
stays with me.
That is the law and it is a shame you have such a problem with that. It's not as
if you run an advertising agency.
(I understand a Models contract can be dependent on use to but I don't get to
shoot "supermodels".)

It is not the art directors baby or the client's baby it is mine and remains as
my "body of work" for the long run.
You are the one who is saying otherwise and that is a strange, uncanny and
uncalled for insult to our profession of photography.
The insults here are coming from you, I'd look to my own motives. I'm defending
my profession. You're only kidding youself if you think you are after justice.
No one here at least is fooled by this pain in the rear, off-center spirited baloney.
Mark Rabiner