Subject: [Leica] Photos on the Web, TED!! help?
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 17:20:59 -03-30

At 02:51 PM 25/03/00 -0500, you wrote:

> > Your model of business is almost like that of a hotel owner, who provides
>a customer a room for a month, but then, as part of the one month lease,
>lets the customer come back whenever he wants for further stays.
>
>Wrong.  Irrelevant analogy.  The customer didn't pay to build the hotel in
>the first place.

....and they didn't pay for my cameras, lighting gear, studio overhead,
education, insurance, years of capital investment, automobile,
administration costs.....

         I guess I should start telling clients that they have to pay for
the cameras, too. :^)
That way I could buy Ted's R7's for next weeks magazine assignment.

THAT is the risk professional photographers bring to the table. Long term
risk requires long term security. That security is the ownership of
copyright thus making the investment viable in the long term by making
income possible in the long term.
That is a logical business model. My business (which holds my stock library
and licensing rights) will be earning money long after my ashes are
scattered in the North Atlantic. My daughter should be able to make a
modest living from this business after I retire and she will never have to
pick up a camera.

Where is Ted on this one?  He's been around this block a few times and has
worked both sides of the fence... Work-For-Hire and full ownership.

Greg Locke                         St. John's, Newfoundland
locke@straylight.ca              http://www.straylight.ca/locke
Touched By Fire: doctors without borders in a third world crisis.
http://www.straylight.ca/touchedbyfire.htm
ISBN#0-7710-5305-3 McClelland & Stewart