Subject: RE: [Leica] Photos on the Web
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 21:02:51 -0800

>> I'm not sure what type of work you do but signing away all rights,
>> forever(?) is definitely not the norm.
>
>Well, aside from photography, it is.  When an engineer is hired as an
>outside contractor (as a photographer is), the company that hires them owns
>the work they pay them to do.  I also believe that should be true for
>photographers, period.

I definitely disagree. Even though the initial message dealt with
photography and you started including everything else, it still is not true.

When an architect produces drawings, the copyright is retained by the
architect. It does not go to the person comissioning the architect. I'm
quite sure that's the case in the US as well. It certainly is here in
Canada.

If I design a house for someone, they are allowed to build ONE house with
those drawings, unless a special contract is drawn up. If I see another
house that is identical to my design, I'll go looking for compensation.

Similarly, engineers retain the copyright to their designs.

As with Greg, in my photography I sell certain types of usage, I don't sell
photographs. Things are getting muddy at times now, when the client needs
photos in digital form for certain purposes, but these tend to be record
photos that I will sell completely, and are priced appropriately. They do
not tend to be photos that ad agencies would fight over.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com