Subject: RE: [Leica] Photos on the Web
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 22:45:29 -0500

> Not knowing the nature of the subjects you are shooting for your clients
> I'll go out on a limb and say that you are giving away your retirement
fund.

Not at all.  As I have said, I am getting paid what I asked for, and I am
taking no risk.

> Twenty years into this business and I have reached the point where I make
> as much from sales and licensing of my stock photo library as I do on
> assignment work during a year.

Stock is different.  In stock, generally, the photographer paid for the
materials, and sought out the subject matter, and was not compensated for
any of the time, so the photographer too ALL the risk.

Commercial shoots, and compensation, and stock shoots, and compensation,
are completely different.  I could not use shots I did for Nike, that they
provided the models for, and the materials for, for my stock portfolio.
 That would be unethical.  BUT if I went out and bought a pair of Nike
shoes, and paid a model my self (or traded portfolio shots for the models
services), then I can sell them until the cows come home...