Subject: Re: [Leica] LHSA President's Response
From: LEICAMAN56@aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 01:26:01 EST

Hi Gang,

I think its time I put on my LHSA President's cap and set the record straight
on the issue of VF Editor and Catalog Editor compensation.  Much has been
said on the LUG here in the last 24 hours about this issue, much of it not
correct.
I am sorry I have been unable to read much of the LUG traffic of late, as I
am in the process of moving my business of the past 17 years to a new
location.  In fact, the move is now entering a critical phase with getting
tradesmen to show up and perform work as promised.  Anyway, enough of my
problems.
The issue of compensation came up again at the LHSA board meeting in Chicago,
as it has for the past several years.  The issue was discussed for well over
an hour (the meeting lasted over 3 hours)! with many opinions expressed from
all sides.  Finally, the issue was put to a vote, with Gary Todoroff making a
motion to set aside the money for possible future payment.  There the matter
rested for a day until word got out about the board's decision.  What
followed was an unprecedented barrage of phone calls, letters, e-mails and
faxes regarding the compensation issue.  I believe in all this
correspondence, only one person opined that the editors should not be
compensated.  Everyone else responded that it was unthinkable that we not
compensate our two editors for the great work they do for our society.  I
then felt compelled to canvas the new board regarding this issue
(unfortunately, I was unable to reach Gary) and the overwhelming vote was to
begin compensation with the year 2000 publications.
BTW, contrary to Mark Rabiner's tongue in cheek response, we do not
intentionally ship members off in buses so we can hold the board meeting in
private.  The board meetings are open to all and I invite every member to
become involved in their society.  Attending the board meeting is one sure
way to become involved.  It is too easy to criticize the actions of those who
work hard for the society, while making no positive contributions themselves.
 I challenge all LHSA members to become more involved in the society to make
it more enjoyable for everyone.
Well, time to get off my soapbox and get back to work.
Look for a surprise in the next issue of Viewfinder which was mailed today.

Leically,

Bill Rosauer