Subject: Re: [Leica] Ted's 15mm
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 21:59:29 -0800

ted Grant wrote:
 << There is the magical look of depth it creates, but that too is a
lesson in seeing one
>  must acquire from practice.   >>

Bob Figlio  responded:
> I took a 15 with me to the British Virgin Islands a couple of months ago and
> will again this week. The shots of harbors and scenes along the beaches are
> truly magnificent. There is no sense of the focal length of the lens except
> for the glorious panorama. I wish I had a way to put some of these shots
> online (they do look like postcards, though!).>>>>>>>>>

Hi Bob,
It sure is a fun lens to work with and now that many M users can enjoy
what we of the R cameras have known for some time,  I'm sure it'll
become an extremely popular lens.  The 15mm is truly a magical lens not
matched by any other of longer focal length.

It just creates magical in-depth images and only gets better the more
you use it finding where it's strengths are for composition and visual effect.

The difference of the M to R is quite amazing when you consider they do
the same thing. The lightness of the M 15 makes it a true joy to work
with while looking through the bright in "your face view finder" riding
on the back of an M6.

It's too bad Leica couldn't get their act to-gether and make a similar
lens for their stable of lenses, then they wouldn't be loosing all that
business to Cosina.  I mean, is it that difficult to crank out a Leica
lens similar to the Cosina Voigtlander?  As this isn't any slouch of a
lens in aspherical configuration and every one that is sold is money out
of Leicas' pocket.

And how many have been sold to LUG/LEG members in the past 5 months?
And if Leica were to make the lens at....." SIMILAR PRICE" they could've
had a bunch of sales instead of watching them going to Japan.

Glad to hear you're having great success with yours,  as I'm having a
ball shooting with mine like a kid with a new toy! :)

ted