Subject: Re: [Leica] image quality and format
From: Rich Lahrson <tripspud@wenet.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 13:07:40 -0800

> Per a "Leica Fotografie" article "The format question in the
> in the light of technical progress", dated Jan./2000, page
> 20-21, the following conclusion is given: "One can say,quite
> unambiguously that, provided moderate-speed films of the top
> class are used & the enlargement ratios do not exceed 30 x 40
> cm ( 11.7 x 15.6 in. ), no quality differences can now be detected
> in comparison to the best medium format camera/lenses".

Hi Tom!

     I was going to post something about 11x14 being the largest size
that looks good from 35mm.  That was the largest size I'd print in
my professional color printing business years ago.  If they wanted
bigger, I'd try and talk them out of it because I knew they'd be
dissatisfied and I'd lose the customer.  (C prints made from 4x5
internegatives from slides.)

     With the various roll film formats, the eye accepts images much
larger than 11x14.  Sometimes, I'd get work in black and white from
roll film and the prints would look good to 16x20.  Working for the
dough like this, you gotta visualize rather they're gonna be happy.

				Cheers,

						Rich Lahrson
						tripspud@wenet.net