Subject: Re: RE: [Leica] e-Bay Self Promotion
From: austin@darkroom.com
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 19:33:15 -0500

>I have a feeling that this issue is not so much a question of rules but a
>matter concerning good manners, tact and decorum. "Having your cake and eat
>it"
>can make people feel uncomfortable.

Understood, but I find it funny that people single out eBay, as opposed to some of the other more traditional auctions, or even other means of 'sales', that I see mentioned here every now and then.

It feels more like an eBay fobia, which is too bad, because it, and other web based auction sites, are a great place to find very good deals if you know what you are doing.  You can also get severly burned if you don't.

Would it be 'proper' to mention you know a guy who has something Leica for sale?  How about you saw something Leica at a camera show, and the guys name is...?  People haggle with sellers all the time, it's just the haggling is 'public' with sites like eBay.

People get 'mad' when the see items go for rediculous prices, like they are supposed to have some control over it.

Bottom line for me, is eBay has been a GREAT source of excellent Leica items, as well as this list.  I have contacted some sellers of tiems that didn't make reserve and get the item for a VERY reasonable price.

I do not think it is in bad taste at all here, just an unfamiliar venue for some.  But posting in a news group is a different story, since eBay is considered a commercial venture, and NGs do not allow commercial postings.