Subject: Re: [Leica] 35/1.4 ASPH lens shade...is this thing a joke?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 04:34:11 -0800

Rob Schneider-Laura Tully wrote:

> Austin Franklin wrote:
><Snip>
> > Overall, this lense just isn't near as nicely 'fit and finished' as the
> > other two I have, and I am quite disappointed...  I hope it takes great
> > pictures though...
> >
> Was this lens new?
>
> I just got a new 35 1.4 ASPH and it came with the hood attached packed in
> the leather pouch.
>
> The hood is Leica #12589 and although it is plastic (weren't these things
> metal at one time?) it's solid and it locks on the lens with alignment clips
> and a bayonet ring.  I've always thought it was the best modern hood Leica
> has.  It has a snazzy slip on lens cap as well.  The aperture ring doesn't
> seem any different than any other Leica lens I own (it clicks in all the
> right places), the focus is smooth, the glass is, well, glass (I don't spend
> much time inspecting the glass on lenses I buy new.  That just detracts from
> shooting time.).  As far as build, fit and finish, this lens gives the
> impression of being a tank.  I KNOW it's a great performer.  I'm eager to
> start getting some film back.
>
> Mine's #3859264, so it's pretty darn current.
>
> Rob Schneider

This is the quality of the new lens Dave Rogers showed me this week; his new lens.
The hood bayonetted impressively. I remarked at the time on the high quality and
excellent and interesting design of the hood.
And of course the lens was flawlessly finished and Dave was very excited about
the possibilities opening up to him.
Where are you Dave?
Mark Rabiner