Subject: [Leica] 35/1.4 ASPH lens shade...is this thing a joke?
From: Rob Schneider-Laura Tully <robslaurat@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 23:26:09 -0500

Austin Franklin wrote:

> I received a 35/1.4 ASPH today...and couldn't believe what they gave me for
> a lens shade.  It's a flimsy little plastic clip on shade, and the clips
> look like they're going to last about an hour....  This thing is a joke for
> the kind of money these things cost...
>
> Another 'odd' 'feature' is the lense doesn't fit in its case with the shade
> on.  The 24 does, so what would be the big deal making the cutout in the
> foam for the 35 shade?
>
> The aperture ring twirls around as easily a high school cheer leader....
>  The other lenses I have have positive detenting...the wind blows and this
> one will pick another f-stop...
>
> Overall, this lense just isn't near as nicely 'fit and finished' as the
> other two I have, and I am quite disappointed...  I hope it takes great
> pictures though...

Was this lens new?

I just got a new 35 1.4 ASPH and it came with the hood attached packed in
the leather pouch.

The hood is Leica #12589 and although it is plastic (weren't these things
metal at one time?) it's solid and it locks on the lens with alignment clips
and a bayonet ring.  I've always thought it was the best modern hood Leica
has.  It has a snazzy slip on lens cap as well.  The aperture ring doesn't
seem any different than any other Leica lens I own (it clicks in all the
right places), the focus is smooth, the glass is, well, glass (I don't spend
much time inspecting the glass on lenses I buy new.  That just detracts from
shooting time.).  As far as build, fit and finish, this lens gives the
impression of being a tank.  I KNOW it's a great performer.  I'm eager to
start getting some film back.

Mine's #3859264, so it's pretty darn current.

Rob Schneider