Subject: RE: [Leica] "magnum" book
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 16:15:06 -0000

And here's the other side of the proverbial coin...from the person who first
mentioned seeing the book in the book store...

I agree with Mitch that some designer from hell was turned loose without the
editors giving much thought to readability - the silver captions are good
"looking," and the capitalless text is interesting to "look" at, but neither
is easy to read....However...

The visually difficult text is well worth wading through - what is said is
quite interesting, and is a thoughtful exploration of what Magnum was and is
all about, and may or may not become in the future. There is discussion of
the esthetics of photographing scenes of war and violence that is quite
interesting.

As to the volume of this volume - rather than complain that the book is too
big, I tended to think "what a bargain" by today's photo book standards at
only $70.

The photos themselves are well - not stunningly - well produced, and provide
an excellent overview of those doing work for Magnum, or of those who have
died while still Magnum members. Yes, some of the work is stuff we have all
seen. Some, however, is not. There are some really interesting choices
made - for instance, most of the HCB work included falls into the portraits
section, rather than being the usual iconic stuff...And speaking of the
portrait section...I found the book to be well divided by subject matter -
architecture, portraits, war, etc. etc.....

So I vote for the Magnum book...which, as they say, is why there are horse
races - or why publishers produce so many books...

B. D.