Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Preferring an M3 was: M6 as jewelry
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 13:30:14 -0500

Marc Small wrote in part:
"These two statements are actually contradictory.  The reason for the
smoother film-advance of the M3 and M2 cameras comes from the use of brass
gears in the film wind-on mechanism.  Leitz found that these wore out with
time, so they went to steel gears, which are not as smooth -- the brass,
being relatively soft, "laps in" over time to make a wonderfully fine fit
of gear-tooth on gear-tooth, while the harder steel takes a LOT longer to
wear in this way -- but which last indefinitely."

Years ago I had read that Hasselblad 'tumbled' there camera and film back
gears in a mixture of chopped corncobs to "smooth" them- I suppose this was
a form of lapping and polishing. I am curious why then Leica might not do
the same, or 'pre-lap' their steel gears with an abrasive to polish and
smooth them?
Actually, it seems to me-  being an insensitive brute no less, that the
winding of the M3 I had seemed no more smooth than my M4 or M6. Perhaps the
steel gears just feel different from the brass to some people!

Dan ( ET TU BRUTISH?) Post