Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: concert shooting (was Leica Camera-Handling)
From: "Dave Fisher" <tekapo@golden.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 13:01:30 -0500

> From: Bmceowen@aol.com
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: concert shooting (was Leica Camera-Handling)
>
> OK, call me a kill-joy, but I have a problem with clandestine photography.
> You buy a ticket, you agree to the rules. If the rules say "no photos"
then
> don't bring a camera. If you don't like it, don't buy a ticket.
>
> Bob (ol' stuck in the mud) McEowen

O-kay, you're a kill joy. If there's an artist who I know for a fact
absolutely abhors getting photographed (i.e. Robert Fripp), I will of course
refrain from taking photographs. Otherwise, they're going to have to stop me
at the door. When serious musicians like Thurston Moore and Ian MacKaye
personally tell me they have no problem with my shooting them -- despite
what the ticket says -- I'm bringing a camera. And if artists like those two
can deal with it, I can't see many artists out there worthy of telling me
differently. Most of these restrictions are imposed by promoters and record
co. management, not the artists themselves. I agree that flash is a no-no,
and I stay well away from that. Probably less than 1% of all the artists
I've shot have ever been aware of my presence. Just for the record, I should
also mention that I'm often accompanied by friends illegally audio-taping
the concerts as well. Do we feel guilt and remorse about this? Absolutely
not. We're not profitting, we're doing a public service. If someone wants to
debate otherwise, I'll just direct them to the recorded history of Charlie
'Yardbird' Parker. End of argument.
DGF PHOTOGRAPHY
http://home.golden.net/~tekapo