Subject: RE: Re:[Leica] Film & Airport Security X-Ray Machines & Munich
From: "Anders Nygren" <anygren@attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 21:37:39 -0600

Warning, there is no Leica content in this message. But it
does contain a little photography and airport security.

In 1990 I went on a climbing expedition to Pakistan. When we arrived in
Islamabad after a long, 15 hours or so, flight and got of the plane at 6 AM,
(dressed in downjackets and climbing boots, to avoid to much overweight on
the checked in luggage). One in our party took a picture of the rest of us
next
to the plane. It took only 30 seconds before a jeep came screeching to a
halt
next to us with 5 military police with M16īs. Oh s***t, we all thought, we
are
all going direct to jail without passing immigration. Luckily they only
wanted the
film, and we didnīt think that it was a good idea to argue.

Later we were taking a flight from Islamabad to Skardu and the security at
the
Islamabad airport was a real adventure. Apparently a Pakistani plane had
recently been blown up in midflight so they were a bit nervous. But the
funny
thing was that they were really paranoid about batteries in the carry-on
luggage.
(Normally, airlines seem to dislike electrical equipment in the checked in
luggage,
and prefer it to be carried in the carry-on luggage, but here it was the
opposite.)
So they confiscated batteries from cameras and portable stereos. They did a
really thorough search, we even had to take of our boots. Then, again,
disaster
struck. They found Olaīs pocketknife, a big Clip-it with 10cm sawtooth
blade.
Immediately we were again surrounded by 6 security types that were passing
the knife around and inspecting it carefully. Finally the commander folded
the knife
handed it back to Ola and wished us a nice flight. Go figure.

/Anders Nygren