Subject: Re: [Leica] Elcan??
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 16:50:13 -0800

At 11:53 AM -0800 3/13/00, Paul Chefurka wrote:
> [...]

It was optically simpler. I don't know at the moment where I have the
diagram, but it had only 4 elements. The bonus was that the length of the
lens was closer to that of the 35 Summicron (non-ASPH) than to that of the
50 Summicron. I only read one report on the optical performance, many years
ago, and it didn't rate the lens very highly for whatever that's worth.

This is of course all rather in the realm of hearsay, but in any case it's
not likely to have been a true competitor for the 45/2, which is by all
accounts a very good performer. Wide open the Contax lens should be a lot
better, but by 5.6 the chances of seeing the difference on 4x6 prints seems
unlikely, or at best inconclusive.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design