Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 or separate meter ??
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@marketingcomm.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 16:21:50 -0600

On previous threads about meters it has come up that the incident and
reflective modes in the Sekonic 508 do not give equivalent readings (off
about a third to half a stop) and that the modes are not separately
adjustable. I assume this also applies to the 408. The Sekonic 508C is able
to have the two different modes calibrated separately but is substantially
more expensive.
<<<<<<<<<<

I think the problem of the L-508 giving differing inicident and reflected
readings is one Sekonic solved. Some of the early L-508s had it, including
mine. I sent mine in for a warranty fix and had it back in a week with a
service memo indicating they replaced a circuit board or something that
sounded fairly major (it's been a couple years now). It's worked flawlessly
since. But, becuase of my experience, I'd encourage anyone who buys one to
test it.

Mamiya USA (which distributes Sekonic in the US) says that the meters are
consistent within 1/10 of a stop. So if the incident meter is off by 1/10
and the reflected by 1/10, the difference between the two readings could
conceivably be 2/10 stop. Anything more and the meter is out of spec and
needs to be fixed.

I had an L-408 previously and never had a problem with incident and
reflected readings matching with it.

Larry