Subject: Re: [Leica] Film & Airport Security X-Ray Machines
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 16:18:13 -0700

If they let it pass it is because they are able to see into the bag and the
film canisters period. They are now putting into place X-ray machines for
carry-on luggage that uses the same technology as the machines for checked
luggage.  If you use film shielding bags it triggers a high energy narrow
scan that will toast even slow speed film. PopPhoto and Shutterbug have had
numerous articles on this in the past six months or so. Keep it simple with
clear bags and in North America you will be able to get hand checks and,
when elsewhere, will not annoy the machines into blasting your film.

John Collier