Subject: [Leica] OT sound comments
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 09:22:37 +0000

Some cables sound different from others. Are they better? Given a listen
to them and make up your own mind. The same issue comes up when I assert
that Leica lenses produce better images. You really need to experience
these things for yourself and make your own choices. Cables do have
different sonic characteristics. I think it is crazy to spend big bucks
on wires, but I have friends who tell me that I am crazy to have
multi-thousands of dollars tied up in Leica stuff.
Bob Figlio
<<<

Bob,
The analogy is pretty exact. The people who "can't hear" the difference
between an ordinary mass-market boom-box and a good stereo are similar
to people who would say, "My Tamron 28-200 gives me images that are as
sharp as anybody could want. They are much sharper than my
point-and-shoot. Who needs better?"

It sounds self-evident to those on this list that good lenses are worth
it, but it's far from a commonly-held assumption.

Incidentally, I served as a beta-tester for Paul McGowan of PS Audio for
a new product called the Power Plant (www.psaudio.com; look at the P300
and P600). I don't pretend to understand electronics, but from what I
understand it "manufactures" pure, grungeless power by taking the AC
from the wall, converting it to DC, and re-converting it back to
AC--with no EMI, RFI, line fluctuations, or etc.

After being an audiophile for longer than I've been a photographer and
going on 80 component purchases over the years, the Power Plant is the
single bast acquisition I ever made in audio. The difference is like
going from the 35mm lens in an Olympus Stylus Epic to a 35mm f/1.4
Summilux-M ASPH. I ***highly*** recommend trying this thing to anyone
interested in good recorded sound.

The only trouble with it has been that, cf. Brian's comments about
Lancelot and the grail, it's been like finding the grail--ever since I
got it I've been uninterested in further improvements in my system. AND,
since I got it, I've abruptly stopped listening to my turntable (I used
to be a pretty committed vinyl fanatic). It simply makes digital sound
virtually as good. First time in my life I've been satisfied with
digital sound.

Maybe I can trade my turntable for a Leica...<g>

- --Mike