Subject: Re: [Leica] opinion on film scanner
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 19:10:52 -0800

> 1-With what type of computer do you use it? (I have a Mac G-4) If you have
> a Mac, do you have any special recomendations regarding its use with this
> computer?

Although I have both a Mac and a PC, I have my CanoScan FS2710
connected to my PC. There is no deep reason for this. As long as there
is a Mac version of the scanning software, it ought to work just fine.

> 2-Does it really give good scans with Kodachrome slides and b&w negs?

Kodachrome scans are spectacular, though of course the area in which
cheaper scanners fall down first is in their ability to capture the
tremendous dynamic range of which Kodachrome is capable.

I have never tried it with B&W negs, though I keep meaning to. My guess
is that it won't do as good a job, proportionately, on B&W negatives as
it does on color negatives, because it only carries 12 bits per
channel.

> 3-I understand there is no problem of feeding it with mounted slides. On
> the other hand, can I leave my b&w negs in 6 frames strips and make scan of
> anyone of them? I would not like to cut my negs stips for the sole purpose
> of scanning.

All of my negatives are cut into strips of 5, but I think it ought to
work fine with a strip of 6. It seems deep enough. Worst case, you'd
have to turn the negative around to scan the frame on the end.

I've never tried it with slides mounted on anything other than
cardboard. I can't imagine that it would fail for other mounting
materials.