Subject: [Leica] Filter sizes, Re: 50mm f1.5 Nokton question
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 08:33:29 -0700

I hope everyone does not think I am way out in left field here, but I think
that if you are a heavy filter user, the M cameras are not the way to go. M
lenses are optimised to be as small as possible as any extra bulk literally
does get in the way. Leica does seem to be trying to limit the number of
different filter sizes lately: witness the rise in use of the E46 size. I
think the current filter size range is E39, E46, E49, E55 and E60. For me,
the use of filters runs counterintuitive to the whole M philosophy and more
suited to a reflex frame of mind. I will fully confess that when shooting in
the tropics I bring a polarising filter and that I do own an 81A filter; I
just do not seem to use them that much. Just my two cents worth.

John Collier