Subject: Re: [Leica] Duncan and Mydans and Nikkor Lenses
From: john <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 22:02:18 +0000

Marc James Small wrote:

> A friend suggested I review Duncan's comments in THIS IS WAR, and,
> amazingly, I listened and did so.

I notice that many folk, we Americans especially, talk a lot about the
Japanese camera industry early postwar era consisted largely of rip-off copies
of German cameras and lenses. But I am wondering if this is really the whole
story.  I am not a history buff, but I remember, of course, that Japan and
Germany were Allies during the WWll and I assume they traded quite a bit of
technology including much photographic technology. Do you know if Ziss and or
Leitz sent technicians and tooling to Japan during the war years? Just how
closely did the two countries photo industries work together?  I guess what I
am asking is whether the copies were rip-offs or the results of shared
information etc. as part of the war effort.
John