Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica LTM III Assistance Needed
From: john <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 21:19:07 +0000

Jeremy Kime wrote:

> Robert,
> I'm surprised no-one else has written to offer assistance yet.
>
> My guess might be that maybe the shutter is sticking open, or staying open
> longer than necessary.
> But another thought is that if this is your first old Leica and you're using
> a 'collapsible' lens, are you extending it, and locking it into position
> before you take your pictures?
> The 50mm Elmar, Summar, Summitar and even screw Summicron all need to be
> pulled out and rotated clockwise (as seen from the front of the camera)
> until they are firmly into position.
> Pictures taken when the lens is left unextended suffer from much of what
> you've described.
> I'll leave it to the US residents to advise you of 'local' repair
> technicians.
>
> best regards,
> Jem

I am not sure what you mean by whited out. If you mean the negatives were
clear, the photo did not get exposed. If you mean the print is all white, it
means the film was grossly over exposed.  If the former check to make sure the
lens cap is off, I know this sounds silly, but if your coming from SLRs you
always see if your lens cap is off and don't need to think about taking it
off, you do with Leicas.  Your second shutter curtain may not be leaving a gap
and just following the first across the film so as not to expose anything, in
this case the camera may respond to a CLA. The very blurred shots may very
well be the lens not fully extended.
John