Subject: Re: [Leica] Duncan and Mydans and Nikkor Lenses
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 21:15:22 -0500

At 05:10 PM 3/10/2000 -0800, Jay Kumarasamy wrote:
>After reading this analysis by Marc,  I wonder, if it was EVER possible
>by ANYBODY, to make lenses equal to, if not better than, ZEISS :-) ????

Jay

Re-read what I wrote:  it was limited to the time and place of the
commentary, none else.  In more recent years, as Zeiss has cheerfully
admitted, JSK, Pentax, Rodenstock, and Leitz have certainly equalled Zeiss
on many popular fronts, while Nikon and Canon have rivalled Zeiss on
industrial and commercial applications.  And, in night vision gear, even
the Europeans buy ITT stuff over Zeiss, though these are for
cost-regardless military purchases:  ITT has as little idea of intelligent
pricing as does Zeiss!  (And the ITT Night Vision plant is about seven
miles from where I am sitting, and I have heard the innards of the
competition!)

The ultimate point is that you can buy, in Japan, Pentax binoculars the
equal of Zeiss binoculars.  Pentax does not regularly market these in the
US, as their premium gear costs as much and more than the Zeiss glasses:
quality costs, wherever it comes from.  But, having been privileged to
enjoy some of these Pentax binoculars over the years, I would be honoured
to own some, at some point when I can afford them.  They show that the
lower-quality and "popularly-priced" binoculars produced by Canon and
Nikon, are NOT the best the Japanese optical industry can produce.
"Fuzzinon", as amateur astronomers call Fujinon, has been a poor criterion
on which to base Japanese binoculars.  It is better to see that industry as
one which concentrates more on marketing knowledge and does not broadcast
their ability -- be it Nikon, Canon, Asahi, or whomever -- to produce
top-quality items.  But that law of diminishing returns does not observe
the International Date Line.  A binocular which costs $2,000 to produce in
Wetzlar at the Hensoldt plant for Zeiss will cost $2,000 to produce by
Luitpold in the US or $2,000 for Pentax to make.  Quality costs, and there
are no cheap answers to the best.

But, then, why am I preaching to the choir?

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!