Subject: [Leica] Leica winder w handgrip
From: Robert Appleby and Susan Darlow <laintal@tin.it>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 10:30:55 +0100

A nice quiet M winder with built-in handgrip along the lines of the R
winder - that would be nice. I like the look of the Rapidwinder, but am
held back by two considerations: use with a flash bracket is out, and no
handgrip.
The Leica M series seems to force a unique set of considerations on the
user, and maybe this is the foundation of the famous "Leica Way" - the
equipment is so limited in its possible configurations (I'm not talking
about performance) that it becomes very difficult to use as a general
purpose setup. And Leica themselves take some pretty bizzare decisions -
the new flash is a case in point. Why not simply make a small flash along
the lines of the unit for the Contax G2 with TTl control for the M6TTL?
Instead they've come up with an aesthetically unpleasing - and most
important - unpocketable and underfeatured unit that has nothing to
recommend it over small Metz flashes. Disappointing.
Havig said all that, I've hardly touched my R's since I got the M6. Maybe
I'm a convert to the "Way" after all...
Rob.
PS, reading those horrible hatemails from Mr. Gil made my shoulders droop
last night. I guess at least in that respect he achieved his aim.
Robert Appleby
V Bellentani 36
41100 MO
Italy