Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Re:50mm f1.5 Nokton question
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 13:30:16 -0800

At 1:45 PM -0800 3/7/00, drodgers@nextlink.com wrote:
>Henning,
>
>>>You must have looked at the large version of the Nokton <g>. Mine is
>smaller than the Summilux. Maybe you looked at one with the hood and
>lenscap on. The lenscap fits over the hood, and _that_ combo looks larger.
><<
>
>You may be right about that. It was several days ago that I looked at the
>Nokton. It appeared to be larger than my 50 Summilux. My Summilux does not
>have a built in hood, and it's a bit smaller than the version with built in
>hood. Certainly, given the price, the Nokton looks like a nice lens.

The only thing that is larger about the Nokton than the Summilux (new or
old) is the filter size (52mm). The hood doesn't have the cutouts like the
clip on Summilux hood of course, so it might intrude into the viewfinder
field a bit more, depending on which part of the intrusion is the most
annoying to you.

>I believe you have a 15 Heliar, as well. Do you use it on an M with a BM to
>LTM adaptor, or do you use an LTM body? And if you use an adaptor does the
>Heliar screw down enough that the top of the lens -- as marked by the
>aperture dot -- is exactly vertical? Fully tightened my Heliar is about
>about one-eight inch from top dead center. I have an old BM to LTM adaptor.
>It's for 50 but it works for the Heliar, as well. The Heliar obviously
>doesn't use framelines in the viewfinder.
>
>With any lens other than the Heliar I wouldn't even be concerned. But the
>Heliar lens shade (if you can call it that) isn't square with the body
>unless the aperture dot is exactly vertical. It probably doesn't hurt
>anything, but I'm just curious.

Yes, I use the 15 as well. I haven't had LTM bodies for a long time, so
both the Nokton and Heliar are permanently attached to adapters. I put a
drop of lock-tite on the flat surface of the adapter, and lined things up.
No more problems, and it looks right as well. With some use my Heliar
shifted somewhat as well, and I did start to see some vignetting.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com