Subject: Re: [Leica] Voigtlander Prominent
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 13:25:04 -0500

At 09:52 AM 3/8/2000 -0600, Michael Bell wrote:
>Can anyone tell me anything about this camera?  How old is it? How
>does it compare to a Leica.  Judging by recent discussions (that I've
>not really followed closely) the lens at least seems to be reasonably
>well regarded.

First, the recent discussions have been about Cosina-made "Voigtlander"
lenses which have nothing in common with the fine lenses for the Prominent
save for the names.

The Prominent was a Postwar camera system made by Voigtlander to rival the
Leica, Contax, and Ektra systems as professional and advanced-amateur gear.
 It is a rather clunky camera body with some sterling lenses, though the
selection is quite limited.  Production was in the middle 1950's.

The 1.5/50 Nokton was especially fine and quite highly regarded.  Zeiss
considered making this the standard lens on the "Contax IV" which was only
to be made in prototype form.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!