Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Loading LTMs
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 10:25:56 -0500

At the risk of fanning the flames, I will comment of what experience I have
had with several LTMs.
First of all, there are a couple of bow shaped springs that are behind the
pressure plate. I have seen them and they appear to be some sort of mild
spring steel, and often appear 'rusty' or spotted- since they are prone to
this, I am quite certain that in some cameras they have weakened to the
point that film can be slipped past the pressure plate without trimming, and
loads very easily.
Having a weakend spring may or may not effect the film flatness- I'll let
that argument be made seperately.
I will say that trimming the film so that the film loads over the pressure
plate at the side, where there is a beveled 'ramp' makes for smoother film
movement, and does lessen the chance of a stray film chip getting loose
within the innards of the camera!
I do know from experience, with two Nikon cameras, that film chips can be,
and were responsible for jamming the advance mechanisms (I used to use a lot
of hand loaded film back then!!)
Now, since I just checked last week with John Van Stelten on the cost of a
CLA for a IIIc ( $150 plus shipping....) I would say that taking the time to
trim the daggumit film is the better part of valor and discretion, and might
save you a couple of bills in repair and shipping, not to mention the fact
that your beloved camera will be out of touch for two or three weeks! It's
worse than sending your kid off to school for the first time! So, for all
you newbies, trim the film. For all of you who feel it is un-necessary,
fine! Good luck! But when you do send it in for the inevitable CLA, have
them check the springs on the pressure plate! You may have been shooting
with 'bowed' or unflat film for a while!
BTW- Guy's idea to use the rewind knob to take up the slack is the best
insurance against not getting the film situated to begin with, and taking 36
shots on the same frame! I usually advance at least two frames, making sure
the knob turns, and that there are no crunching or tearing sounds from the
film!!!
Dan, snipping leaders left and right, Post