Subject: Re: [Leica] Agitation-especially LONG
From: Jiri_Dvorak@idx.com
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 11:48:12 -0800

>Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 23:25:45 -0800
>From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
>Subject: Re: [Leica] Agitation-especially LONG
>
>tank through the plastic lid to start to presoak.

It seems to me that I read somewhere that Kodak does not recommend the presoak
with XTOL and Ilford does not recommend it with its current films (apparently
there's a wetting agent incorporated in the emulsion and the presoak will 'soak'
it away).

I used to presoak my films with XTOL and later stopped doing it and noticed that
the presoaked negs had somehow lower contrast. Might be useful in higher
contrast situations, I guess.

My own agitation (XTOL 1+1, JOBO or Paterson 2 reel tanks) is continuous first
30 seconds and then one slow inversion with a twist and a tap each minute
thereafter. Haven't noticed any uneven development on my films so far; last time
I had some problems with it was years back using TMax developer at 1+4.

Jiri D.