Subject: [Leica] Desensitized!
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 16:44:46 -0800

 I just bought  a 15/4.5 Heliar. Only a Leica user could be so desensitized
to the price of a lens that  at $450 it almost appears "disposable".  At
first I marveled at how someone could offer such a lens at such a low
price. Especially with the finder  included. After closer examination I can
say that the construction of the Heliar is a far cry from the construction
of the 21/2.8 ASPH M. Still, if the Heliar falls apart in a couple of years
of heavy use, I won't feel too bad.

A big consideration was whether or not I should get the Heliar since I
already own the 21/2.8 ASPH. But the difference between the 15 and the 21
is greater than the difference between the 21 and the 28. That Heliar is
w-i-d-e. The difficulties aspects of using a  21 -- i.e. the tendancy to
try and take in too much,  converging vertical lines, etc. --  will be even
more pronounced with the 15.  At the very least, the 15 Heliar will improve
my technique when using the 21. OTOH I may become desensitized to
super-wide-angle viewing.

David

Speaking of disposable; a Bessa L isn't that much more than a disposable
camera.  Next time I decide to shoot a wedding (please someone, talk me out
of it) at a country club  I'll pass that info along. How easy to put one at
every table. Of course, the guests would still have to provide a lens.
Might only work at a LUG members wedding.