Subject: [Leica] Re: The Summicron
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 11:07:36 -0800

Horst

>>Why would anybody find it an advantage,
to have less depth of field at a close distance.<<

Esthetic reasons?

>>The way I see it, lenses of f2 and faster where not developed to provide
small as possible depth of field , but to offer the possibility to be
useful at
lower light levels.<<

You're probably right. But E-6 films weren't designed to be processed in
C-41, yet people do it. The 50/2 DR Summicron is somewhat an enigma in that
rangefinder cameras weren't designed for closeup photography. But
apparently, at one point there was a market for it.

BTW, my initial reply was one of semantics. Technically the Summicron is
capable of less dof than the Summilux. That's all I meant to imply.

David