Subject: [Leica] Re: R Help
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 10:13:43 -0800

Mikiro

>>I agree with you two.  SL has the brightest veiwfinder among the whole
Leica
SLRs.  I assume that its brightness is a result of high quality silvering
on
the prism rather than a character of the screen.  As far as I remeber, the
only non-Leica body that can rival it is a Contax S2/S2b. <<

The bright viewfinder probably explains why the old SL bodies still
maintain some value. It seems that the SL/MOT versions are much more
valuable than a non-MOTs. I don't know why that is. I know that there is
quite a bit of variation in SLs, as far as mirror brightness today. I've
looked through some that are pretty yellow. I got lucky with mine. It is
still quite bright. That's why I bought it. It was inexpensive. At least
initially. It prompted me to move to the R line, which ended up costing
quite a sum in the long run.

I've owned a Contax S2b and the viewfinder was not quite up to that of the
SL. Plus, the sound of the shutter on the S2b reminded me of a mouse trap
slamming shut. Whereas the sound of the shutter on the SL reminds me of a
pair of fine shears closing. I liked the S2b. The meter was certainly fast
and accurate. But the shutter sounds in the two cameras were quite
different.

David