Subject: [Leica] BAD NEWS : summicron explosion
From: V8PWR@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 13:19:51 EST

I came back from my last mission in the UAE in a C130 hercules . A 4
turboprop aircraft that has the particularity to send bad vibrations into the
deepest part of your bones . ( some of you may know what I'm talking about )
This fact is surely the cause of the front part of my 16 years old 35
Summicron to slightly unscrew . This is no big problem if nothing goes
further . But it was not the case .
I carefully retightened the thing but , much to my surprise , the diaphragm
wings where no longer closed into a round hole , but rather into an eggshaped
hole : I mean they were loose in the lens , going where they wanted to .
This is where I began to get chicken skin ! Really scared !
Buy the way I tought It was no more damaging , at that point ,to remove the
front element completly to see what was going on.
After removing the front lens , there is another smaller one , that comes
easily also . Then I found the internal diafragm ring , the one connected to
the outer ring by a small screw . underneath all that you find the diafragm
blades themselves .
I can tell you that It took me 7 hours to put everything back in good order .
The blades are only rotating around a very small axle ( smaller than 1/4 mm )
and it is very hard to keep them where they are supposed to stay .
I finally succeeded with a very small magnetised screwdriver and a plastic
toothpic .
Now the 35 seems OK with no sign of damage but however it will go for a good
CLA .
Still thrilling !
Regards
Jo GOODTIMES